Read and Write is a technology software recently introduced to our office by Amrou Ibrahim, our Assistive Technology Specialist. It’s an amazing application that can assist many students with their reading and writing needs. The tool offers support through various features, including highlighting texts, reading texts aloud, and utilizing talk-to-text features.
Read and Write can be installed through a Google Chrome or Safari add-ons. Once it is installed, the application installs a toolbar that can be used with any tab in your web browser. Additionally, there is a desktop feature that can be downloaded so that Read and Write can be used offline as well.
This tool includes many different features which can benefit students here at Penn. Here are a few :
- Text-to-speech features for selected passages or entire documents (works with emails, web browsers, PDFs, and more!)
- While the text is read aloud, the associated words are highlighted on the screen. (This can help keep the reader focused)
- Text and picture dictionaries to aid in students’ reading
- A speech to text feature that can aid in students’ writing
- A simplifying text features that gets rid of ads and other distracting features from web pages
- Tools to highlight and underline while you are reading
This is a great tool to try, especially because it is free! If you are interested in learning more about this tool or other technology that can be useful, call the Weingarten Learning Resources Center at (215) 573-9235 to make an appointment with Amrou or with one of our other learning instructors!
By Staff Writer: Kelcey Grogan, Learning Fellow and Learning Instructor